The Mail Merge module is a desktop application.
The Mail Merge app has to be downloaded by a System Admin from your Firm Settings.
- System Admin should then email that file (MailMerge.exe) to all users of Mail Merge.
- This app will need to be installed locally on each terminal.
- When the installation is complete, log in using your SafeSend Returns credentials.
- Open Word to install the SafeSend Signatures Word plugin.
- The Word plugin is required for creating Word templates and corresponding CSV files.
The next time Word is opened, you will have a new tab, “SafeSend Signatures”.
- Selecting this will show the “E-Sign Action Center” option.
- When this is selected, a panel will open on the right side of your Word window.
- It’s from this area that your template and your spreadsheet will be created.
Signature Placement Tab
- The Signature Placement tab shows client action items.
- Signers will be required to enter these items when used:
- The Date field will be auto-filled when e-signed.
- Check Box is not a required field when it’s placed onto a document.
- The Data Field can be either optional or required.
Using Signature Placement items
- Place your cursor on the document where an item is needed.
- Make sure the Signer dropdown is correct.
- The item you are placing can only be completed by the designated signer.
- Double-click on the action item and it will appear where you placed your cursor.
- Continue through the entire document, placing action items for all signers.
- The same template can be used regardless of the number of signers.
- Mail Merge will recognize the number of email addresses (signers) in the CSV file.
- Double-click the signature field and ensure it is marked as "required" if you would like it to be required.
Placing Data Fields
- When using Data Fields enter the following:
- What information is being requested.
- Should the field be optional or required.
- Designate a signer
- Once information is entered select Place Field.
Mail Merge Tab
- The Mail Merge tab is for information that will be merged from a CSV file.
- There are 2 default Merge Fields:
- All other fields will be created using “Create Custom Merge Fields”.
Placing Merge Fields
- Merge Fields are placed using the same steps as Signature Placement items.
- Set your cursor on the document where information from a spreadsheet should appear.
- Click on either of the default items or create a custom field.
- Every merged field will become the header of a column in the CSV spreadsheet.
- When a merge field is created, it’s saved if needed again for that document.
- When custom merge fields are created, spaces will be removed.
- Do not add any special characters to the naming
- Merge Fields can be placed anywhere on a document, including headers and footers.
- There is no limit to the number of Merge Fields that can be added.
Creating the CSV File
- Once all the necessary merge files have been placed, you will create the spreadsheet by selecting “Create CSV Template”.
- A CSV file will be created.
- Save this file.
- Each Merge Field will be a column header on the spreadsheet.
- Column A – Signer1Email is one of two required columns in the CSV Template.
- TaxPayerName is the other required field.
- If there are multiple signers, there will be a column for each email address.
- If information isn’t in those columns, the document will be completed after the first signer is finished.
- If those cells have information, the document will continue until all parties have signed.
- The cell containing the Version Information is a required cell.
- This information cannot be removed.
- It will always be a single cell and one column to the right of your last column, in Row 2.
- If this is removed, your template will not pass Step 2 of Mail Marge, “Check Errors”.
- Fill in the spreadsheet with all the data that needs to be merged into your Word Template.
- There is no character limit within cells.
- Many firms merge entire paragraphs from the CSV Template.
- Merge Fields will move up to fill in information blank spaces.
- For example, if AddressLine2 is used but doesn’t have any information, CityStateZip would move up so that there isn’t a space below AddressLine1.
- Once your Word Template and your CSV Template are completed, Save & Close both.
- Move on to Mail Merge.
How to use the Mail Merge Wizard
- Sending batches of documents for e-signature starts with the Mail Merge Wizard.
- When you open the desktop app you will be taken to the Mail Merge Wizard.
- There are five steps to batch process and send documents for e-signature:
Step 1: Select Files
- The documents must be saved and closed before beginning.
- Step 1 requires that two completed files be selected for merging:
- A Word document.
- A CSV file.
- The Word document can be either an already completed template or one created during this step.
- Our Best Practice Policy is to use a template that has already been completed [Open Document Template].
- The CSV file needs to be completed and needs to have been created using the Word plugin.
- The names of the documents will appear at the bottom of each box once selected.
- Select Step 2: Check Errors.
Step 2: Check Errors
- During Step 2, the Mail Merge Wizard will verify that the selected files can be successfully merged.
- If there are errors, a detailed description will be shown and must be resolved before trying again.
- Select Step 3: Merge Files.
Step 3: Merge Files
- Step 3 will merge the files.
- You will see a progress bar as the documents are completed.
- Once complete, a window showing all documents will open.
- The document names will all be the same and shown in the first column.
- The email address of the first signer will be shown in the second column.
- Select Step 4: Configuration.
Step 4: Configuration
- Document Type will be selected in this step.
- Your firm’s retention policy is based on Document Type.
- The options are pulled from Signatures Settings.
- The “Title” will be the subject in all email notifications and will be identical for all recipients.
- The message will also be identical for all recipients.
- You can require an Access Code for all documents.
- Select Step 5: Send for Signature.
- All documents will be sent for e-signature.
- Document information will appear in your Signature Report.
Contact our Support team at
firstname.lastname@example.org or 855-818-3552.